This while story is really a story of spiritual blindness. Several things about this story really jump out at me:
  • Jesus uses less than usual means to heal this man from his blindness. Spitting in some dirt and rubbing it on a man's eyes would normally be seen as an unclean act and the fact he did it on the Sabbath really would be taboo.
  • You can really begin to see how Jesus was acting to upset the thinking of those who considered themselves religious.
  • I love the words of the man who had been blind in verse 25. "Whether he is a sinner or not, I don't know. One thing I do know. I was blind but now I see!" Love it!
  • His next statement in verse 30 is also great. "Now that is remarkable! You don't know where he comes from, yet he opened my eyes." The religious leaders simply did not want to believe that Jesus could be the Christ.
  • The final verses 35-41 are some of the most powerful in the book of John. Especially verse 41, "If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim to see, your guilt remains."

I'm reminded here that Jesus' harshest words are always reserved for those who say that they love God, but don't really act on what they say they belive. God help me to keep my eyes open to your direction, and to quickly obey.

edit post

Comments

3 Response to 'John 9 Reflections'

  1. Anonymous
    http://daleschaeffer.blogspot.com/2008/02/john-9-reflections.html?showComment=1202996280000#c5736967995676247917'> 07:38

    The question "Why" is the normal response for people when the tragedys of life confront us. The natural response is to put blame on something or someone. Somehow it is difficult for humanity to accept the fact that bad things often happen to good people. (That would make a cool message topic. Oh yeah, you already did a good job covering that one).
    I had read this story many times, but never realized that Jesus must have told the man that he was making a salve out of the dirt. He obviously couldn't see him doing it, but was able to somehow explain the process to the relgious leaders.
    I too liked it when the man just said, Hey, I was blind and now I see, deal with it. That's Rick's paraphrase.

     

  2. Anonymous
    http://daleschaeffer.blogspot.com/2008/02/john-9-reflections.html?showComment=1203027240000#c819507547042892113'> 16:14

    I love this passage. How appropriate for Feb. 14. One thing that grabbed my attention this time was: I just think, wow the blind man's courage. His parents were scared to speak of Jesus or anything that might offend the Pharisees, but the blind man knew he could see after taking a small step of faith to go wash in the pool. I think how many times people laughed at him or excluded him; how the blind man might have reacted to someone putting clay on his eyes. He knew, no born blind man's eyes had ever been opened. But miraculously, now he could see, and he didn't care if the Pharisees, the most religious, were offended or not. He knew Jesus must have come from God! I thought wow, 'how cool is that' after the man was cast out of the synagogue for renouncing the Pharisees belief, Jesus searched to find him. Matt 5:10 "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

    Lord let me always stand strong on my faith in you, and hold tight to my love for you. For I know my strength comes from God above. Amen

     

  3. Anonymous
    http://daleschaeffer.blogspot.com/2008/02/john-9-reflections.html?showComment=1203076620000#c1812425449332746456'> 05:57

    i like vs.30-34 paraphrased,wow are you pharasees like idiots or what! never before has a man performed this mirical, how could he not be of god! i thought i was blind but now that i see i only see how blind you are. thank you for casting me out of your presents. jesus continues to make the blind to see through his word and each time one gets saved.

     

Post a Comment