Here are some of the things that spoke to me today:
  • vs. 11 ~ "Neither do I condemn you, go and sin no more." I love that Jesus doesn't condemn us, but that he doesn't approve of our sin either. He says, you're forgiven, now stop sinning.
  • vs. 12 ~ "Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." Good news for all of us who used to walk in darkness, and who sometimes feel like we still are.
  • vs. 19 ~ "If you knew me, you would know my Father also." Jesus is the best picture of God that you can find.
  • vs. 36 ~ "If the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed." I've always thought of this as being a completed work, but I'm wondering if the "will be free indeed" part is closer to the truth? We have been freed, but it's an already, but not yet kind of thing.
  • vs. 47 ~ "He who belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God." Convicting stuff.

What about you?

edit post

Comments

3 Response to 'John 8 Reflection'

  1. Anonymous
    http://daleschaeffer.blogspot.com/2008/02/john-8-reflection.html?showComment=1202939100000#c8616630831908035830'> 15:45

    Dale I agree all great verses with great insight.
    (This is Not insight: just my perspective)vs: 34 & 36 - We are all prisoners and bound by sin, before we accept Jesus into our hearts and choose to live for Him. Then we are free of the bondages of sin. Meaning, we no longer enjoy participating in sinful acts. We are now convicted by the Holy Spirit, but not condemned as we were before accepting Christ into our lives. Praise God and Amen, eternal hope is now ours.

    Paul also writes in Romans 6:17 - "But God be thanked, that ye were the servants of sin, but ye have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you."
    vs 18: Being then made free from sin, ye became the servants of righteousness." (KJV)

    We now want to please God in all we do and not ourselves. (Once again this is not insight: I am not a teacher/preacher)

     

  2. Dale
    http://daleschaeffer.blogspot.com/2008/02/john-8-reflection.html?showComment=1202947260000#c5298739019076949200'> 18:01

    Scott I really appreciate your comment, "we are now convicted by the Holy Spirit, but not condemned..." That's something to get excited about!

     

  3. Anonymous
    http://daleschaeffer.blogspot.com/2008/02/john-8-reflection.html?showComment=1202949120000#c5817675623155619439'> 18:32

    First off, really great comments! What stuck out to me were verses 7-11. I guess I would be lying if I didn’t say that I actually found comfort in the fact that they all walked away. It reminded me of the message a few weeks back when we all were asked how would we like our life’s worth of sin played back on a movie screen for all to see. So when Jesus says "If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her," I can just imagine those individuals standing there playing the tape back so to speak in their own conscience. Much like, hey lets see your sins! So yes very convicting stuff.

    God I offer myself to you to build with me and to do with me as you will. Relieve me of the bondage of self that I may better do your will. Take away my difficulties that victory over them may bare witness to those I would help of your power and your love and your way. May I do your will always. Amen

     

Post a Comment