• I love the language that the Message uses in verse 14 "The Word became flesh and moved into the neighborhood".
  • Verses 29-30 also really jump out at me. John saw Jesus walking towards him and "yelled out". I think one of my main jobs as a follower of Jesus Christ is to "yell out" or to "point out" where I see Jesus at work in the world, in our church, and in my life.
  • Again in verse 46 I notice that people are talking about Jesus, "come and see" they say. "Come and see" I think it's interesting that they are actually just repeating Jesus' words in verse 39. It's tempting sometimes to think that I've got to be original and come up with new ways of pointing people to Jesus, but it's pretty clear here, all I've got to do is just point the way to Jesus...Invite people to "come and see"...and repeat what he said, and do what he did. That should be enough to convince people that Jesus is the real deal.
edit post

Comments

4 Response to 'John 1 Reflections'

  1. Anonymous
    http://daleschaeffer.blogspot.com/2008/02/john-1-reflections.html?showComment=1202173560000#c9221565954312507693'> 19:06

    For me the passages referring to the light (3-10) stand out with huge clarification. Particularly verse 9 "The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world." I also really like verse 5 "The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it." Wow! For me totally significant of being saved.

    I also love your comment about trying to be original and coming up with new ways of pointing people to Jesus. Reminds me of a quote I heard a few days ago "preach the gospel daily, with words when necessary" Which for me is easier said than done but its a great focal point for me to try and start each day with.

     

  2. Anonymous
    http://daleschaeffer.blogspot.com/2008/02/john-1-reflections.html?showComment=1202188260000#c4955494089735241336'> 23:11

    I found it interesting in verse 45 and 46 Phillip was so excited he had found the one Moses spoke of Jesus of Nazareth but Nathaael was concearned about anything good coming out of Nazareth wich leads me to belive that Nazareth must have had a poor reputation. And to think God chose Nazareth to be the hometown of the savior of the world... This says 2 things to me... 1 god cares so much for the tottaly lost that he would not only send his son to the world but also place him on the "wrong side of town" so to speak WOW..... 2 Jesus grew closer to god even in an atmosphere that was probably very sin ridden. Just really speaks to me......

     

  3. Dale
    http://daleschaeffer.blogspot.com/2008/02/john-1-reflections.html?showComment=1202223540000#c8811650841736784080'> 08:59

    Greg...when I became a Christian it really was as if a darkness had been lifted from my eyes...beautiful picture what what salvation is about.

    Chris...I like your comments...they realy tie back to the way the Message version translates verse 14, "The Word became flesh and moved into the neighborhood." A very dark and depressing neighborhood...one that people wondered "can anything good come from this neighborhood?"

    Keep commenting...I enjoy reading your insights and I'm sure others do too...and to all you "voyers" why not jump in with your thougths today.

     

  4. Anonymous
    http://daleschaeffer.blogspot.com/2008/02/john-1-reflections.html?showComment=1202224500000#c4138634596679320511'> 09:15

    Commented yesterday but apparently didn't go through. I liked the way the Message spoke in verse 13of us being God begotten, not blood, flesh or sex begotten. That procides a picture of us being spirit and not of this world.

     

Post a Comment