Yesterday I got a phone call asking if someone I've never met before could come see me because his life was falling apart, and he wanted to talk to a pastor.  I said sure.  10 minutes later he showed up.



Before he came in my office I stopped the sermon I was listening to on iTunes and decided to play some music.  I usually do this when I meet with people to keep the silence from being too awkward when things get weird, because they usually do.


Anyway, I usually just click whatever is on the display, but yesterday I felt like I needed to find the right song.  So I quickly scrolled through my collection and landed on some old school Hootie & the Blowfish.  Specifically, "Let Her Cry" and hit play.

My appointment came in, and after a couple of statements about how I was younger than he expected.  He stopped talking and started crying.

The next words out of his mouth were, "Is that Hootie & the Blowfish?"

I responded. "Yes".

"Let Her Cry" he said.

"Sure enough". I shot back.

He got real quiet for a second and started to cry again.  After a couple seconds he composed himself and said, "I almost didn't come in here.  I was sitting out in the parking lot, and I was just listing to that CD in my truck before I came in here...do you think that means something?"

Um...yeah...I'm gonna' say yes.



If you think about it pray for Justin.  He's trying to start over again, and he's investigating faith.  Said he'd come to BridgeWay on Sunday.  He's close to giving his life to Christ.  Pray he does.

How about you?  Do you believe the synchronicities of life are merely coincidence or is something bigger at work?


edit post

Comments

3 Response to 'Coincidence'

  1. Anonymous
    http://daleschaeffer.blogspot.com/2010/01/coincidence.html?showComment=1262879537620#c2807455801809831554'> 09:52

    Hearing stories like this really strengthens my faith. I could not be happier to be a part of what is going on at Bridgeway. Many thanks to everyone involved at making Bridgeway what it is.

     

  2. Unknown
    http://daleschaeffer.blogspot.com/2010/01/coincidence.html?showComment=1262880582260#c2140536978738355235'> 10:09

    Dale,
    Thank you for listening to the Holy Spirit. I think "coincidence" is mans way for not giving God credit for moving or calling us or trying to get our attention.

     

  3. Dale
    http://daleschaeffer.blogspot.com/2010/01/coincidence.html?showComment=1262881357304#c2724818316907442384'> 10:22

    Thanks for sharing. I came to faith through what some would call a coincidence that I see as the faithfulness of God. I had turned my back on God as a High School student, but was tired of the direction my life was headed so I prayed one morning something like this:

    "God I don't know if you're real, but if you are, show me today. Show me that I'm going in the wrong direction, that I'm running with the wrong crowd, and that you've got something better for me."

    Later that day my dad and I had lunch. Following that lunch after my dad had left I kinda just walked around the room. About 1 minute later, my dad returned with tears in his eyes to tell me something like:

    "Dale, God wouldn't let me leave today without telling you that I'm disappointed with the direction your life is headed. You're wasting your time, running with the wrong crowd, and God's got something better for you."

    I immediately became a mess, surrendered my life to Christ, and the rest is history.

    I'm continually in debt to my father for listening to God that day.

     

Post a Comment