"Those who present their own ideas are looking for praise for themselves, but those who seek to honor the one who sent the are good and genuine." vs. 18

Good and genuine. I never want to be less than authentic and genuine in my relationship with others or with God.

This is another passage where Jesus seems to be pointing out there are two groups of teachers. Those who present their own ideas for their own benefit, or out of selfish desires. And then there are those who are honest, and authentic. Teachers who present the ideas of God. I definitely want to be in the second group.

I love the culture of authenticity that we have created at BridgeWay, and I think it is because we are not trying to teach for our own benefit, but for the benefit of Jesus Christ. We want more and more people to become followers of Jesus Christ, not just followers of BridgeWay.

God, help us to always keep the story of Jesus Christ the center of everything we teach at BridgeWay.
edit post

Comments

2 Response to 'John 7 Reflections'

  1. Anonymous
    http://daleschaeffer.blogspot.com/2008/02/john-7-reflections.html?showComment=1202856000000#c7104544500701691637'> 16:40

    It amazes me that 2000+ years ago is lot like the present: Jesus makes himself real to a lot of people and they still choose not to know Him, and we try to rely on our own beliefs rather than the divine wisdom of God received through prayer and meditation. (Well, I know from time to time I do - when faced with a big decision.)

    Another thing that stood out was vs 24: Jesus says, "Look beneath the surface so that you(I) can judge correctly." Too many times I am quick to judge someone's act before I even take the time to meet the person.

     

  2. Dale
    http://daleschaeffer.blogspot.com/2008/02/john-7-reflections.html?showComment=1202863260000#c7416546104322837116'> 18:41

    Scott, I really like your reflection on verse 24. It's so easy to make our mind up about something before we really take the time to make an accurate assessment. Good stuff.

     

Post a Comment