Proverbs 18:24 "Friends come and friends go, but a true friend sticks by you like family."

I like this translation of Proverbs 18:24. I've had a lot of friends in my life, and most of them have come and gone, but there are a handful who have become friends who are like family. I think we all need friends like that. Friends who are like family to use. That's one of the reasons why I'm so big on wanting people to connect to each other in small groups. I know that not everyone will have this kind of friendship develop in a small group, but it is happening.

Just this week, I've heard stories of friends from our church who have: taken a friend to the hospital for surgery and waited with them as they recovered, helped a friend out when they ran out of gas, watched their children so they could spend time together as a couple, and prayed for each other daily. I love it when the church is the church. I'm reminded of what Jesus says in John, "This is how everyone will recognize that you are my disciples—when they see the love you have for each other."
edit post

Comments

1 Response to 'Wednesday, October 3rd Reflection'

  1. Anonymous
    http://daleschaeffer.blogspot.com/2007/10/wednesday-october-3rd-reflection.html?showComment=1191459720000#c8458011432833070005'> 20:02

    I am very encouraged to hear this. In our culture today so many are orphaned on an island with no one to talk to. I am reminded that we must proactively seek others to build relationships with. Small groups are a great place to do this.

     

Post a Comment