There are a couple of verses in todays readings that really jump out at me. They all seem to have to do with generosity and blessing others. I love the last part of vs. 25 "A generous man will prosper, he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed."

I've seen so many people who have chosen to live small/stingy lives and they are the most unhappy people I know. I've seen others who have lived lives of generocity and it seems as if their energy never ends. There have been times where I've wondered if they were just putting on a show and acting like life was great and they had all the energy in the world, but I think this passage points out why they act the way they do. God is refreshing them through their giving.

I'm being reminded through this whole 28 day process of a couple principles to having the energy and strength I need to lead.

1) Be a person who seeks after the Lord. I'm reminded that when I seek after God, and not just the answer to some problem or questions, I will "renew my strength".

2) Be a generous person. God has blessed my family in so many ways. I want to pour blessings out into others lives, and according to this Proverb, the result is that I will be refreshed.

That's it...So generous or stingy? Which are you? What struggles do you have with generous living? What lessons have you learned about generous living? What effects have you seen from generous living?
edit post

Comments

1 Response to 'Wednesday, September 19th Reflections'

  1. Anonymous
    http://daleschaeffer.blogspot.com/2007/09/wednesday-september-19th-reflections.html?showComment=1190225520000#c2028516588110280169'> 13:12

    As I read todays scripture and reflected on people in my past who have been generous to me, I thought of a time when two buddies and I were heading home on leave for Christmas from the Navy before shipping out to Viet Nam. We were in Chicago flying standby and my two buddies got called and then a civilian. Those were the last three seats on the plane. When the civilian realized we were traveling together, he told me to take his seat and that he would catch a later flight. Then he wished me a Merry Christmas. That to me was an example of a generous heart. That was 38 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday. I have to think that the generosity that I can share with others today will last just as long. Encouraging us to help others is one way God chooses to heal us from past hurts.
    Rick

     

Post a Comment