Proverbs 16:18 "A hot-tempered man stirs up dissension, but a patient man calms a quarrel."

I've shared a few times in messages about my personal growth in this area. Up until about 6 years ago, I had a pretty bad temper. It wasn't until I got into a car accident with a woman who t-boned me in the middle of a busy intersection, that I really understood that I could control my temper. As I was getting out of the car to go "let her have it" and "give her a piece of my mind", I heard the Holy Spirit say to me, "Dale, she's going to go home to a husband who is probably going to yell at her for wreaking their car, she doesn't need you reminding her that she messed up." It was at that point that I really began to pay attention to the way that I respond when people do something that would normally set me off. I don't always get this one right, but I'm much more aware of when I need to have a little patience. How about you? Quick to anger, or slow to fight?
edit post

Comments

1 Response to 'Thursday, September 27th Reflection'

  1. Anonymous
    http://daleschaeffer.blogspot.com/2007/09/thursday-september-27th-reflection.html?showComment=1190898660000#c5320200051067377586'> 08:11

    I'm not a Sawyer Brown fan necessarily, but your blog today reminded me of a song that they do entitled "They Don't Understand". In it they share some stories of people who are living out trials in their particular lives and people react to them in unkind manners because they don't understand. May be a bit cheezy, but the message is clear. If we would think, as you did in your example, that just maybe the person has just encountered a life changing moment in their life, we would react differently ourselves. I too don't always get this one right for sure, but hopefully with God's help I will get better about it. Thanks for the reminder.
    Rick

     

Post a Comment