Acts 17:11 "Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true."

I love the emphasis on the character of the Bereans. Character makes or breaks you. It is the foundation of all of the beliefs you hold, actions you take, and decisions you make. Consider all of the decisions you've made in the last month...what do they say about your character?

Luke points out that the basis for strong character was found in two things:

1) Eagerness to learn.

2) Careful examination of the facts.

This is the difference between people and character and those without character:

Weak Character says, "I know best"
Strong Character says, "God knows best"

Weak Character says, "I'm smarter than you"
Strong Character says, "Someone is probably smarter than me"

Weak Character says, "Let me tell you"
Strong Character says, "Can you tell me"

Weak Character says, "I don't care about the facts"
Strong Character says, "Let's check our facts"

Weak Character says, "I don't care what the Bible says"
Strong Character says, "Let's see what the Bible says"

How are you doing at developing character?


edit post

Comments

1 Response to 'Acts 17 Reflections'

  1. Bassist
    http://daleschaeffer.blogspot.com/2009/05/acts-17-reflections.html?showComment=1243524486827#c5650289990904032907'> 10:28

    Awesome stuff here Dale.

    Thanks for the encouragement and keeping this up.

     

Post a Comment